New Mt. Rainier Print Release with Pnwonderland
Wowwwweee…what a beautiful Spring it has been up here in the PNW! It’s been hot, it’s been cold, and we just got a dusting of snow on the tops of the hills last night. Looking forward to the heat again next week and those sweaty summer nights around the corner.
We partnered up with the good folks at Pnwonderland again to release our second print in the Cascade range volcano series. This one features the mighty Mt. Rainier! First Nation peoples had a lot of different names for this peak (The tallest in the Cascade range at 14,411ft!). The people of the Puyallup tribe have known the mountain as Tahoma or Tacoma for who knows how long before Captain George Vancouver named the peak in honor of his friend Rear Admiral Peter Rainier Jr.
I’m all for changing these significant geologic landmarks back to the names given by the native people, they had so much more history and meaning:
“By definition, Tahoma can mean mother of waters or that frozen water both recognizing the glaciated peak as the significant source that it is. The word is also understood to mean large snowy mountain, a trait it certainly exemplifies. Another etymological explanation derives from definitions of the name’s component parts in the Lashootseed language; Ta (larger/taller) Koma-Kulshan (name for Mount Baker). Farther afield names such as Talol and Ti’Swaq are also applied to the mountain, reflecting the relativity with which native place names must be approached. (Source)”
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
- "Life Wyldest" My big solo show
- New Mt. Rainier Print Release with Pnwonderland
- Print Release with Pnwonderland
- Dec. Art Shows in Hawaii
- Stormy Weather Arts Festival Artist
- 2016 Stormy Weather Art Festival
- Surf's Up Art Show July 8th
- New Screen Print "Humpy"
- Artist Residence at Prana
- New 8x10 Print "Northern Sol"
- New Limited Edition Prints on Wood Panels
- Festival Vagabonde: Bordeaux, France
- Art for REI Santa Monica
- Save The Waves Artwork
- Summit Artist Residency
- Artwork for the 2014 Reef Hawaiian Pro
- New Art at Wyland Gallery Haleiwa, North Shore
- Art Show Sept 6th, Carpinteria, CA
- Vagabonde Surf Art Festival, France
- Surf For Life Mural Project: Nicaragua
- New Big Prints - 24"x36"
- Fungus Fascination
- The Kelpafornia Series is Complete
- Fish Outta Water 037 and 038
- Skateboard Painting
- A Few New Paintings
- Sector 9 Artist Series Skateboards
- Art & Prints at Nikau Kai this Friday
- Heal the Bay Gala and Artwork
- Video: Heal the Bay Gala Artwork
- New 20x30in Bamboo Prints for Heal the Bay
- Video: Fish Outta Water for Surfrider San Diego Gala
- Video: Painting "Welcome to the Jungle"
- "Branching Out" at Art Whino April 13th
- Heal the Bay 2013 Partner Artist
- Dropping the Fear in 2013...
- Video: Time Lapse of a new Commission
- Video: Time Lapse of a Surfboard Painting
- Wedding Art
- Prints on Wood for Hurricane Sandy Relief
- Video: The Making of "Tropic Funk 1 & 2"
- National Cherry Blossom Festival Artwork
- Tru Protection Case Sneak Peek
- New Print for SurfAid Cup Malibu 2012
- Ventura Westside Artwalk :: July 21-22
- Print Release: Limited issue, 22-Color Print "The Island of Gratitude"
- Concrete Wave Magazine Cover, Article and 22 Color Print Release
- Create:Fixate show pics
- New November Art